Friday, May 6, 2011

Graduation Eve

So, I'm sitting here on the night before my college graduation, and I'm doing my usual reflection. I've spent the past 5 years of my life in college, taking classes, making friends, and trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. And trust me, it took all 5 years to figure out what I want to do when I "grow up." And there are still times when I wonder if the plans I've made today will be the same tomorrow.

But in these last 5 years, I've also done some growing. When I started college, I was a shy girl who had her comfort zone and didn't like to get out of it. My first year of college was spent away, and that was definitely out of my comfort zone. While I did enjoy my time at Berry (and I got an amazing friend out of it), it didn't feel right. I wasn't happy. I guess I wasn't ready to be away from my source of comfort. So I came home. And I spent the last 4 years living with my parents and attending a new college. I even changed my major from business to education. There were times when I questioned that move. Heck, I was questioning that move earlier this year. However, I'm satisfied with my decision. I love working with kids, and while I don't want to be a traditional classroom teacher, I have a plan.

That's something that hasn't really changed about me. I always have a plan. Even when I don't think I have a plan, I still had a plan. I'm a planner, and I don't think that will change. However, I have become more open to my plans changing. I don't freak out as much as I use to when they do. I know now that life throws in things that can't be planned for, and I have to be ready to roll with the punches. I have to be prepared for my plans to change. And I need to be ready to welcome changes sometimes. Change isn't always bad. In fact, a lot of times, it's really good. :)

I've noticed myself becoming more of a risk taker. Things that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing 5 years ago, I'm wanting to do now. Like parasailing, which I plan on doing while at Disney. Heck, even moving out of state for 5 months. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing this 5 years ago. Leaving everything and everyone that I know behind to move to a city where I know 1 person. And I won't even be living or working with the person I know. 5 years ago, that would have caused me so much anxiety. But now it excites me. I can't wait for August to be here. I can't wait to move and start this next chapter in my life. I can't wait to meet new people and have all these new experiences.

I don't have any regrets about the my college years. I'm glad to be done with them though. It's time for me to move on. To move to a different place, meet new people, have new experiences. It's time for me to move on to the next chapter of my life, and I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment